Posted on December 4, 2015

Win a Carbon Monoxide Detector!

competiton/ giveaway

Did you know that every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die? Small children and the elderly are the ones most at risk from this silent killer. Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas so without a detector you will have no idea that carbon monoxide may be seeping from your boiler. Being exposed to high concentration levels can be fatal or cause several other long-term health problems such as brain damage.

CORGI HomePlan is campaigning for every home to get a carbon monoxide detector, so that they can keep their family safe. In the last three years, an estimated one in six homes inspected by the Gas Safe Register was found to have an unsafe gas appliance and one in eleven has an unsafe boiler.

CORGI HomePlan have created a microsite to help families be aware of the dangers of gas appliances in their own home. so please head over to… to find out just how safe you home is.

Here are a few things to keep an eye out for, if you notice any of these then make sure you get your boiler/appliances checked…

  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
  • Dark staining around or on appliances
  • Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
  • Pilot lights that frequently go out
  • Increased condensation inside windows

Being aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning could save your life. Here are the main six symptoms to look out for:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

If you have these symptoms and they improve or disappear when you leave the house then you may have a carbon monoxide leak.

If you suspect you or anyone in your house has inhaled carbon monoxide. It is important that you get fresh air immediately; turn off the appliance and leave the house. If you think you are in danger ring the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 11 999. You should seek medical attention as soon as possible – visit your GP or go to the hospital as soon as possible – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.


The lovely people at CORGI HomePlan have kindly given me a Carbon Monoxide Detector to giveaway to one of my readers, all you need to do to enter is complete the Rafflecopter below. Good luck and stay safe x

a Rafflecopter giveaway

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top