Watching your baby or child start to choke is a very scary thing, I’ve been there a couple of times and thankfully I have been able to stop them, I did have First Aid training back in my college days so I knew what to do. Many parents don’t know and too many babies are choking so that is why I am happy to help St John’s Ambulance spread the word with their new #TheChokeables video. Anything that might save a babies life is worth sharing. Please help spread the message far and wide!
The campaign was developed after new research for the nation’s leading first aid charity revealed today that four fifths of parents (79%) wouldn’t know how to save their baby from choking to death despite it being a major fear (58%) and 40% having witnessed it.
The research also showed that:
- 53% of parents said knowing first aid would help them feel better prepared and less scared
- Of those who said they knew how to save a choking baby, only 29% knew the correct, recommended technique. Nearly three quarters of parents (71%) selected the wrong answer when given multiple choice options
- 39% of parents think choking is the most important first aid skill to learn as a parent
- Of the parents who’d witnessed their baby choke, 77% said their baby choked on food, 14% on vomit, and 9% on toys. Other causes included coins, mucus/phlegm, marbles, and pen lids.
St John Ambulance CEO, Sue Killen, said:
‘Knowing what to do in an emergency can be the difference between life and death, especially with something like choking. We all know how time pressed parents are so this film makes it as easy as possible to learn first aid – in less than 40 seconds we can all know a skill that could save a life. We hope people watch and share the video with their friends and family so more people have the confidence to act in an emergency.’
In addition to the advert, St John Ambulance has released new resources on its website to inspire everyone to learn life saving first aid skills.