Since becoming part of the Netflix Stream Team a couple of months ago I am totally addicted to Netflix! I am currently on the second series of Vampire Diaries and absolutely LOVING it but whenever I watch a series like this I wish I had read the book first. I am terribly lazy nowadays when it comes to reading I have all the Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games books and more all stacked on my bedside ready to read and I will read them one day but it is so much easier to watch an episode of my favourite series before I go to sleep…
The kids don’t know I do this and I encourage reading at all times because I love it I really do! Boo has so many books in her bedroom I just can’t stop buying them her and she just loves it, she’ll read book after book after book! I remember my sister being like that as a child but I never was! I love nothing more than sitting down with the kids and reading though. We will often just sit for the afternoon with lots of books around us and read one after another.
Here are 5 tips on how to make story time more fun…
- Dress up as the characters from your favourite books with your child for story time. You don’t necessarily need expensive outfits, whip out the face paints and get creative!
- Discuss the book after reading; did your child enjoy it? What did they learn? Would they like to read it again? Who was their favourite character and why?
- Read out loud and give spirit to the characters – make it a family affair! Whether that be mum, dad or a grandparent children will relish the opportunity to spend time with the family.
- A great incentive to get your child reading is to watch the TV show or film on Netflix after you have finished the book as a reward.
- Make story time fun with an easy to follow craft idea on how to bring your favourite book to life.
Some Netflix titles which are all based on books are…
For little ones – Thomas and the Magic Rail Road, Max and Ruby, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Busytown Mysteries and many more
For older kids – The Enchanted, Little Women, Lady and the Tramp, Mary Poppins and More!
Not to forget Mums – Vampire Diaries, War Horse, Mr Selfridge, High Fidelity and many many more
Also if you haven’t seen it I can highly recommend Orange is the New Black, there is just one series on Netflix currently and it is AWESOME! Series 2 will be starting in June and I CAN NOT wait!
Whatever you do today to celebrate World Book Day; have an amazing day xx